From the photo archive that brought us the wonder that is 'Colour mug shots in America'
, the good people at These Americans
have also uncovered some fantastic/horrifying portraits of Memphis Wrestling USA: 1980s
. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like – a bunch of mulleted dudes in their wrestling gear.
So many questions are raised from these perplexing photos (Who are these guys? Shouldn't they try to be more scary, and less cabaret? Why is that guy in a love-heart?) but what we do
know is that Memphis Wrestling is a TV show that has been broadcast every Saturday morning since the '70s, so kids and adults alike could enjoy the sight of men pummeling each other. Memphis is super serious about their wrestling, which alarmingly must mean that these photos were taken seriously. Wow. Wow and YES!
Lifelounge's questions in relation to Memphis Wrestling USA -- 1980s
1. Why did wrestlers in the '80s dress like strippers?
2. Why did they think that dressing like a cowboy was threatening if you scowled and pointed at the camera?
3. Why did they hang out in towels?
4. Why did they wear bow-ties?
5. Why can't wrestlers dress like that now?
More at theseamericans.org