Cute alert! St Jerome's Laneway Festival in Melbourne was chockers full of well-mannered cutie-pies whose penchant for slick sunnies and parasols made them all the more adorable. Here's some stuff we saw/did/thought/heard on Saturday.
1. The festival's move to Footscray Community Arts Centre was a clever one – some grassy knolls, shady spots and a pretty sweet view of the city and some palm trees.
2. Teeth and Tongue is charming. Also we really liked the Karen O-ish multi-coloured cape dresses.
3. Kid Sam are pretty radical. We saw a security guard having a mini head nod.
4. Daniel Johnston. He really is a bit of a demented genius, innit?
5. The xx probably schvitzed in all their black grab, but you wouldn't know it; they are so sublimley nonchalant.
6. The Very Best were full of joy. Esau's voice is fabulous and they had some amazing dancers on stage with them. Fun fact: 'Kamphopo' is good for sunshine dancing.
7. The Midnight Juggernauts are still that good. Vincent is still that dreamy, but now we know he's slightly dreamier in an ivy wreath.
8. If we were to be so bold and douchey and mention the VIP area, we would say that it was lovely. Nice couches.
9. It seems everybody was there for Florence and the Machine. Six and a half thousand of the seven thousand person crowd was packed down that street to watch her go a little mental in her sequins. Hot.
10. The few people who watched N.A.S.A. got a proper spectacle – Squeak E. Clean donned a power glove (for real) and then a bunch of aliens with flashing lights on their heads invaded the stage.
A smarter and longer version at thevine.com.au. Photos by Josh Robenstone.