Being a rapper in 2013 is
pretty hard business. Not only do you have to spit sick rhymes, but the baggy jeans and snapback caps just don't cut it anymore – you have to be a fashion rapper. A runway attending, sneaker designing, friend of Versace it-boy/girl, who is renowned for re-defining what cool is.
Here is the Lifelounge guide to fashion rappers:
1. Try really hard to hang out with Karl Lagerfeld (remember, if it's not photographed it didn't happen).
2. Pretend you don't give a fuck about fashion, while secretly giving an epic fuck about fashion.
3. Design streetwear couture that no one but you could possibly afford.
4. Once you've done that, design actual couture. Because it's that easy, right?
5. If you haven't got the dough to pay people to look at your fashions, use your star power to find someone who does.
6. To be a true fashion rapper, everything about your life needs to be fashion-y. Even your life-size Japanese collector's toys.
7. If you start feeling like other rappers are stepping on your fashion turf, start experimenting with things that would look ridiculous on anyone else. And kind of look ridiculous on you.
8. If people doubt your fashion credentials, just list brand names in one of your songs. How could you possibly know what a Balenciaga is without being a balls out, fashion rapper?
9. Thoughtfully critique designers on Twitter.
10. Tell other people you know a lot about fashion. Eventually they'll believe it too.